Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

DIUI #5 on the Horizon? Time will tell...

CD3 and back on the Clomid we go; I start tonight and I have an appointment on Monday for a wanding. I have HUGE reservations about this because as I indicated yesterday, I have a few questions that I want to discuss with my RE. Just niggling doubts that his answers don't seem to have satisfied.

As for where we'd go in MTL, it would likely be McGill as our RE is affiliated with them and he can do much of the preliminary work here in Ottawa before we make trips aplenty over the provincial border. The cost there is a little easier to handle at approximately three attempts at IVF for $10,000. Mind you, if we do the TESE to surgically extract and use hubby's sperm (rather than our current donor), that will add costs. And if we require ICSI that will add costs. And if we use all of our current donor vials on IUIs then we'll need to order another vial ($500 each) for IVF in case they don't find any viable sperm with the TESE.

It amazes me that Canada has so much medical coverage and insurance, yet as soon as you enter the realm of IUI and IVF, nothing is covered except medications. And even then, usually you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed. For all of you American women who have coverage for IVF and IUIs, count your lucky stars. There isn't a workplace in Canada that I know of that covers a dime of it. Pam, I might take you up on getting the details for the insurance agency that covers these types of medical procedures. Something tells me we're going to need it. *sighs*

For Wednesday's Commentathon: 11 comments = 11 points total

9 comments:

Serenity said...

*hug*

It all sucks hon. I'm sorry. :(

ultimatejourney said...

Insurance coverage for infertility isn't universal in the U.S. either, but I count my lucky starts that I live in a state where this coverage is mandatory.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you don't need IVF, but I'm glad you have the option.

I'm curious to hear what your RE has to say about all your questions.

Baby Blues said...

My country doesn't have insurance that covers it either. But you'd be amazed how much cheaper it is to do an IVF here! It's almost half the price of IVF in the US.

decemberbaby said...

$500 a vial? Forget dealing drugs for the money... how about dealing sperm? I'll give you a vial of hubby's finest for $200... anyone? anyone?

I've heard really good things about the program at McGill. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

aw krap. this really, really sucks. i saw your ticker and was just so bummed...i hear the resignation in your voice, gil...sorry it's so tough...sending you big hugs...and i totally hear you abt the $$$ stuff, though i do know some fellow canucks who had some/all treatments covered...my insurance covered $1000 lifetime! okay, you can get up off the floor from laughing so hard!!

my friend just told me that in israel they cover it all!! til you're 45!!! another reason to move there!

peace
shlomit

Anonymous said...

It sucks that none of this is covered. We don't een have coverage for meds. It is all out of pocket.

Anonymous said...

We were lucky enough to have coverage for IVF (yet not IUI) at the time we needed it. Now though, it's gone.

It just sucks that something that so many people can do for free costs thousands of dollars.

FattyPants said...

I'm in the Us and we have coverage for IUI (80%) but none for meds or IVF. We are lucky to have any coverage because from what I understand most don't.

Nearlydawn said...

I'm interested... Your post says you are doing Clomid, but that this was IUI #5. I understood from my RE that using it past 3 or 4 tries was considered bad for your ovaries - ie ovarian cancer risk increases a lot.

I'm interested in what your RE thinks about the risks...