Pages

Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

It is December 24, Christmas Eve, and I am sitting in my sister's guest bedroom in West Virginia. Hubby and I decided that instead of sitting back at home and looking at each other as the snow piled up outside, that we'd enjoy our time in the States with my sister, her husband and his family. They've made us feel SO welcome. And it's always wonderful to catch up with my sis. She's so far away from me that it makes it tough to get together with her and have some quality time. It was nice earlier this morning when the guys went out and left me and my sis here together, cooking and preparing dishes for tomorrow's meal... just the two of us chatting and laughing, thinking about family traditions and the things that made our childhood back home so wonderful. I'm glad I have a wonderful sister to reminisce with about these things. It gives me a frame of reference for my life sometimes.

Yes, so December's been a rather hectic month. Let's see... since I last wrote, here are some of the things that I've been busy with:

-- the office moved from one location to another... meaning that my commute just went from 11 km each way to 42 km each way. Nice. NOT. The trade off? I get an office with a door (for now) and a little more space to call my own. That'll change eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying it.

-- finished all my Christmas Cards (about 200 of them) for Canada, the States, France, Belgium, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. All done!

-- all the shopping for immediate needs is done and wrapped, ready to be ripped open tomorrow morning as we sit in my sis' living room around her tree. Hubby and I will take advantage of after-Christmas sales to pick up gifts for my stepchildren and a birthday gift for my mother (whose birthday is on January 7).

-- I spent a lovely weekend with the stepkids and my friend's daughter (lil K, I'll call her). I picked up Lil K and spent a morning shopping with her and wrapping gifts for her mom, getting things ready for them for Christmas. Then picked up the stepkids and we all went to see the Chipmunk's Christmas movie that's out right now. The kids seemed to really enjoy it so it was all good. Back at our place, we invited another friend for dinner with us and sat down to a lovely meal together before hubby took the kids out to Taffy Lane to see the lights while my friend and I did dishes and sat with a cup of tea. I crashed early (caught a miserable cold from hubby) while the rest of them watched ELF on our HDTV. Hubby saw that the kids got to bed okay and we drove them home after a hearty brunch the next morning. THAT was the morning of the snowstorm. What a mess!

-- Hubby and I have entertained a few folks at our house on different evenings, giving people their gifts and having a drink or two, catching up. It's always nice to spend time with friends over the holidays. I don't do near enough of that during the year.

-- And I guarantee you that we've got about four feet of snow piled on our lawn, mountains of it on the sides of the driveway! What a mess! Canada hasn't had this much snow in December in years! I know we were supposed to have a lot of rain yesterday; I hope it didn't wash it ALL away, otherwise it won't be a white Christmas!

So all of that in December before hubby and I piled gifts, clothing, and a few extras for my sister in the car last Friday and started on the 12-13 hour drive from our house to my sister's house. We made it safe and sound and we'll be here until Saturday I think. A week of down-time. Much needed. Whew!

Before I sign off, I would ask those of you who are the praying kind to say a little prayer for my friend, Lil K's mom. She's been unwell for a few months and the other day, got a diagnosis. Cancer. Things don't look good but there are more tests and likely surgeries on the horizon. The last I knew as well, my husband and I are listed as Lil K's guardians should (heaven forbid) anything happen to my friend. I am hoping against hope that my friend will pull through this. Both she and Lil K have had a lot of upheaval in their lives. This is quite a bit to ask them to handle. So if you can, please include them in your thoughts at this time. I know all prayers are welcome.

Prayers to you all from me, for a happy Christmas season (or Hanukkah, Kwanza, heck... even Festivus!) and may 2008 be filled with joy and laughter. May all our dreams come true.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Merry Christmas!!! I'm glad you're having such a good visit and holiday. We drove in on the 23rd and totally surprised my BIL and his wife. They had no idea and it was great. We drove through the rain and fog all the way from Toronto - 4+ hours. Not a trip I enjoyed. But just so you know, the snow is still here in, no worries it was washed away. And my BIL took us down Taffy Lane last night. Very impressive light show.

Hope the rest of your week is restful and full of fun and your drive back is fast and uneventful. Have a good Christmas and New Year, and don't spend too much on the after holiday sales. :)

P&V

Kate said...

I'm so glad to hear you had a good Christmas and I will say prayers for your friend. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Angie said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about what your friend is going through...she will be in my thoughts for sure...
peace
shlomit