Pages

Monday, February 04, 2008

Reminder to my readers... Pancake Day!

Tomorrow is Pancake Day (aka Shrove Tuesday); one day before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. I can't believe it's been a year since I posted about our Pancake Day Traditions.

As a quick recap, here is what I said last year about the items that you put in your pancake batter:

"In Newfoundland, you are supposed to put trinkets into your pancake batter. Each trinket was symbolic of the future and it was so much fun as a child to try to find the trinket that you wanted. I carry this tradition with me wherever I go, and every year, on Pancake Day, I still make pancakes for my husband and me. The trinkets traditionally used were the following:
-- a penny, to symbolize poverty
-- a nickel, to symbolize wealth
-- a string, to symbolize a fisherman (if a boy got the string, he would be a fisherman, if a girl did, she would marry one)
-- a wedding ring, to symbolize that you would marry soon
-- a button, to symbolize that you would never marry
-- a nail, to symbolize that you would soon pass away
-- a thimble, to symbolize that you would be a seamstress (a girl) or a tailor (a boy)"

So tomorrow night, I'll be making Pancakes and throwing some of these trinkets in the mix. Hopefully the future will hold something bright for me and my husband.

I'm glad I'm in a better emotional place this year for Pancake Day. This past weekend, we celebrated my stepson's 12th birthday. I can't believe that my husband's children are as old as this! I met them when they were little tiny things, a mere 4 and 6 years old and now they're 12 and 13! Dear Lord, where has the time gone?

Hubby and I are looking forward to heading to Montreal for our first IVF consultation on February 21. And this past weekend, I got an e-mail from a woman who's been down this route as well. She's close to my age, and after transferring to McGill, she got lucky with her first IVF: she is 20 weeks along. I can only hope. So I will continue to do that and maybe glean a little knowledge about McGill's process from her along the way.

Enjoy your Pancake Day everyone. I know we will!

Thoughts and prayers to...
Mary-Ellen and Steve, who have just suffered a great loss. This journey isn't fair and having to deal with the loss of triplet daughters, an infection, and an induced coma is far beyond what any one should have to deal with. My thoughts are with them both at this very difficult time. Pop over there and let them know you're thinking of them too.

No comments: