Pages

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Depression and Infertility

Last week, as I was flipping through the local paper, an ad caught my eye. I cut it out and thought, "Hmm, maybe that's something I could do."

The ad stayed on my desk for a few hours while I went about my business. Yes, imagine that, I do work you know! And these days, work is pretty busy. Anyway, I got so busy that I thought, "You know, I am too busy to do this sort of thing," and in a moment of frustration, I crumpled the ad and tossed it in the trash.


But it nagged at me all day long.



And so, before I left for the day, I plucked the ad out of the trash, smoothed it out and drafted an e-mail in response. I thought, "You know Gil, if you did this and someone benefitted from it, it would -totally- be worth it."

The ad in question was from the University of Ottawa's Institute of Mental Health Research. They are recruiting volunteers for a study (in Montréal and Ottawa) about the effects of two forms of psychotherapy in women who may be depressed within the framework of infertility.

I responded to the add, and yesterday I went to the hospital for a quick evaluation. Turns out I'm not currently "depressed enough" to participate. Ha. They should have caught me a year or two ago! I would have been the perfect candidate at that time. Oh well. So if not me, maybe you. Or someone you know. Or someone you love.

For those of you who might be interested and who could take part, of if you know of someone that might get something from this, the ad is reproduced below with permission from the doctor who interviewed me yesterday. And if you take part, I will hope for you that it is of huge benefit. As infertiles, we need to vent and discuss these sorts of things. So I will cross my fingers that it works for you or the person that you love.

As a side note, the doctor recommended a book entitled Unsung Lullabies to me. It is written by three psychologists who have dealt with infertility and what coping skills they have found to guide them through the difficult questions and situations that we all face on a daily basis. I might pick this one up.

************

University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research

Are you having trouble becoming pregnant and are you feeling blue?

Are you also experiencing any of the following:
--Feeling sad most of the time
--Feeling less interested in things you used to enjoy
--Low energy, poor appetite, or sleep problems
--Difficulty concentrating
--Isolating yourself

Researchers at the uOttawa Institute of Mental Health Research are conducting a study in Montreal and Ottawa to evaluate two forms of psychotherapy in women experiencing symptoms of depression in the context of infertility. Therapy lasts 12 weeks and is free of charge.

For further information, contact Paula Loja, RN, at 613-722-6521 (ext. 6156) / paula.loja @ rohcg.on.ca or visit our website at www.imhr.ca.

No comments: