Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blood Work Results and More Appointments

So after a consult with a local RE awhile ago, here's where things stand.

If we're looking at trying again (and I'll be honest, I'm seriously debating this at the moment), we're better off going to Montréal again, back to McGill. The local RE (at OFC) is quite happy to liaise with them and monitor here in Ottawa as required. I called McGill and made an appointment for May; we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, the RE here started some preliminary blood work. Here are the results that I discussed with my GP this morning.


Sample taken on March 23, 2012 (CD3) with the following meds:

1.0 mcg synthroid (for hypothyroidism) and 0.75 mg sandoz-diclofenac (for psoriatic arthritis, which is quite bad at the moment)


LH -- 1.0 (LOW for Follicular phase; 2-13 = normal)

FSH -- 6 (6-9 = good... while under 6 is excellent)

TSH -- 3.06 (personally too high for me)

Estradiol (E2)-- 185 (70-530 normal) * Note for my American readers: This converts to 50 in American levels.

Ferritin -- 42 (31-72 indicateds REDUCED iron stores, but it's better than where I was!)


Moving forward, my GP has prescribed Metformin again (to regulate the PCOS). She increased my dose of synthroid; my TSH is way too high for me to be comfortable. I knew weeks ago that something was off. My face is puffy; my eyelids are swollen in the morning and I'm biting the insides of my cheeks daily which is a huge sign for me that my TSH is too high. She discussed stopping the diclofenac just prior to doing the IVF (as we know it can be harmful in pregnancy). And she is not concerned with the iron levels, even though they're somewhat reduced.

From what I also see, my LH is low, but that can be regulated in an IVF cycle. And I believe that my FSH of 6 is not too shabby for a woman who will be *gulp* 42 next month. I will discuss these things with the RE when I have an ultrasound later this month to check antral follicle counts and discuss the blood work results.

More blood work to follow before our appointment in May: upcoming is Prolactin, CBC, HIV, HbsAg, HCV, and Rubella... along with the blood group (which I know is A+).

I don't know. I just don't know if this is the right path at the moment. But I need to follow this road a little and see where it brings us. The plan was always two. But can we? Should we? Does this make sense? I don't know. I truly do not know and I'm torn this time around. WE got so lucky. Who's to say all hell won't break loose this time around? That terrifes me, to the point of freezing in stasis and just letting time pass until it's too late.

I just don't know...

But on my way home, I'm picking up my prescriptions and I'll up my dose of synthroid and get back on the Metformin. We shall see...

2 comments:

Pam A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Thinking of you as you work through it all. We're nearby if you need an ear, a break, whatever. {{{Hugs}}}