Pages

Monday, January 05, 2015

Microblog Mondays: What am I Missing Out On?

Our dear Mel over at Stirrup Queens has begun a blog phenomenon... as she frequently does. 

Microblog Mondays. Writing in your own space. Something short and sweet. But it's meant to take back our bloggy space and call it our own. I am going to try to do this periodically. Life's hectic. So we'll see how long this lasts.


*********************

While many in the blogosphere are discussing the books or movies they would love to crawl into (if they could, and knowing they are safe from harm, of course), I'm not particularly comfortable revealing that side of myself so I will instead discuss the fact that now that I am tied up with Petite, I rarely get a chance to see movies or read books. 

Admittedly, prior to Petite, books were never my thing. I'd read them now and then, devouring them when I found one (or a series) that particularly appealed to me but that was a rare thing. My sister, on the other hand, did a great deal of reading for her degrees. Yes, I read for my degrees too, but I read Shakespeare, Chaucer, Whitman, Bronté, Zola, etc. Classics were my thing, not so much modern novels of the day. (I can still happily recite soliloquies from Shakespeare, losing myself in the imagery therein.) Likewise with movies... prior to Petite, I used to make it a point to see a movie at least once a month, sometimes more frequently if possible. But now, I am lucky if I get to one or two movies per YEAR. 

And similarly, I hear so many people discuss Sons of Anarchy, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black, Mad Men, The Good Wife, The Walking Dead, etc. I confess: I've never, ever, EVER seen a single episode of any of them. I don't get time, and I'm lucky if by the time I fall into bed, I get to watch the local news! It's THAT bad. 

My husband (being a techie and working where he does) got a superb discount on Crave TV (sorta like Netflix, a subscription based channel that offers series for your viewing pleasure... including the entire Friends run!) so he subscribed. I peeked at it last night and I would like to try my hand at watching a few of these to see what all the hullabaloo is about. I just hope I get the time... 

2 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm with you -- I miss almost every big television phenomenon. Or I catch up with the show, but only when it is in its 8th and final season. I can watch about one show per week; that's what I have time/energy for. So I'm with you: I haven't seen any of these.

loribeth said...

I don't watch any of these either (although I have peeked in on Downton Abbey now & then). Dh is amused, though, that I can usually tell him about the plotlines & characters, regardless -- funny how much you absorb by osmosis through social media, lol.