Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Microblog Mondays: Hell Hath Frozen Over

Our dear Mel over at Stirrup Queens has begun a blog phenomenon... as she frequently does. 

Microblog Mondays. Writing in your own space. Something short and sweet. But it's meant to take back our bloggy space and call it our own. I am going to try to do this periodically. Life's hectic. So we'll see how long this lasts.
*********************

You know how I know that Hell has frozen over? Because the rest of this God forsaken frozen wasteland has too! Seriously. 

I live in Canada's capital. Last week, and this week, we're breaking records left, right, and centre. February has been the coldest month on record. Ever. We've hit temperatures colder than the Antarctic. We're bundled to within an inch of our lives. The temperature here is colder than it was on Mars for Pete's sake! No joke! 

Today is a semi-holiday here. It's Family Day. However, as a federal government employee, I'm supposed to be at work. (This holiday isn't in our contract yet so we don't have it off. Neither does my husband.) I say "supposed to be at work" because I am NOT at work today. I am sitting in my kitchen. Why, you ask? Let me tell you... 

Because it's so frakkin' cold in this frozen country, where the air hurts my face and stabs at my lungs this morning (we have a raw temperature of -27 but with the wind it was -40. Remember: -40 C = -40 F.) and my car decided it wasn't going to start. Not a gig. Not a whit. Not even a little bit of juice. 

I'll go one better; Hubby's car wouldn't start either! No joke. Two vehicles in our driveway, and both of them essentially said, "Nah, not so much." A friend of mine posted on Facebook that this is the universe's way of telling us to stay home and watch movies today. 

Sounds like a helluva plan. S'cuse me while I go turn on my heated blanket. 

5 comments:

loribeth said...

I hear you! I think we're only just a touch less cold than you are here. We were wondering whether our car would start to get us to the movie yesterday -- fortunately, it did, but dh warmed it up for about 15 minutes before I came out & we drove around for awhile afterwards, just to give it a workout.

Do you have block heaters in your cars? I grew up in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and while I didn't know the term "block heater" until I was an adult, I just knew that everyone plugged in their cars at night so that they'd start in the morning. At university, the parking lots were lined with boards with electrical outlets on them. And people would steal your extension cord, so that you'd come to the lot from a day of classes (or from your dorm room) & your cord would be gone & your car wouldn't start. The university actually had (& probably still has) a "Bison Booster Van" that you could call to come give you a boost. Of course, back then, there weren't any cellphones, so you'd have to walk to the nearest payphone to call them, lol. ;)

When I moved to Toronto, we had a cold snap & people were worrying about their cars starting. I said, "Don't you plug it in at night?" & they looked at me like I was from Mars. It didn't occur to me that people WOULDN'T (or didn't HAVE to) plug in their cars at night in the winter, and it was obviously a rather foreign concept to them. Cultural clash!

Sorry, I'm rambling. Hope you have a nice day to make up for the lousy start! :)

Tara said...

Oh brrrr... I am cold just reading this post!

Definitely don't envy you folks out east at this time of year and especially during this particular cold snap! Stay warm!

Jess said...

YES! I'm further south than you by a bit, in Rochester, NY, but it has been COLD COLD COLD. Everything looks like tundra and the snowpack on the roads finally melted some today since the sun decided to finally come out. I don't remember what colors look like outside... :) I like your friend's thought... cars won't start? Stay home with movies and the heated blanket. Our new heated blanket has been a lifesaver, so cozy. Enjoy, and hopefully it warms up to above-Antarctic temps soon. I hear for us tomorrow it's supposed to hit 20, so I have hope for you! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, that sounds lovely. I'm not kidding. We've been having the warmest/driest winter in over 40 years (California). The drought just keeps getting worse. I hope you're enjoying your day off.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I will never whine about the cold here in DC again. It is nothing like that. Though we are having a snow day.